[WEB4LIB] RE: Two steps forward, three steps back

Abbott, Bruce BAbbot at lsuhsc.edu
Wed Dec 22 10:35:12 EST 2004

This really is an enlightening discussion for me.  I have always thought
that I was not completely understood when I told our library staff that
local cataloging policies and local implementation decisions are critical.

Seeing the discussion on this list about this topic confirms that there is a
critical lack of appreciation of how critical the implementation decisions
of an OPAC are.

While it is difficult to change the implementation decisions in mid-stream,
new releases often look different enough to end users that it is possible to
bring them on board to new searching techniques with a new release.

Sit down with your catalogers and system librarian if you feel changes are
needed to your system.  Usually the ability to make changes is part of the
OPAC.

Bruce Abbott
Asst. Director for Library Systems and Electronic Resources
Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center
433 Bolivar St.
New Orleans, LA 70112

babbot at lsuhsc.edu
504-568-6103 (voice)