[WEB4LIB] Re: printing problems with web pages

Kevin W Bishop bishopk at rpi.edu
Thu Dec 9 12:28:43 EST 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: web4lib at webjunction.org
[mailto:web4lib at webjunction.org] On Behalf Of Ryan Eby
Sent: Thursday, December 09, 2004 12:04 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: [WEB4LIB] Re: printing problems with web pages

Unfortunately printing is an after thought or no thought for many
websites. This is true for sites made by "print" or "web" designers.
Many sites have printer-friendly pages, though these aren't always
easy to find. The inclusion of print stylesheets are picking up and I
recommend their use to anyone who is building a site which is styled
using CSS as it is easily created. For sites that have less semantic
code it may be more difficult to produce the alternate version. If
there's a specific resource that is giving a problem, especially one
that has a lot of content, you should probably send a comment to site
maintainer.

For those who want to make their own print stylesheets for a site they
are creating, I recommend the following article at A List Apart:
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/goingtoprint/
--------------------------

Actually, I believe what the original poster -- who isn't the author of
every site her patrons visit -- needs is a customized, "user-defined"
print media style sheet.  Perhaps it could be a part of the basic
install and configuration of the default browser on public machines?

Articles that may help:

http://aware.hwg.org/tips/essay_kb_03.html
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/printyourway/
http://www.microsoft.com/enable/training/ie6/formatpage.aspx

-kb

Kevin W. Bishop > bishopk at rpi.edu
Communication & Collaboration Technologies
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute > http://www.rpi.edu/
  RPInfo: http://www.rpi.edu/rpinfo/