[WEB4LIB] Re: printing problems with web pages

K.G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Thu Dec 9 11:29:30 EST 2004

> All too many websites are designed by what I consider to be print
> designers, who want to force a particular font size, look, feel, layout,
> etc.  This is fine for print, but doesn't translate well to the web.
> This often gives problems when printing.

In all fairness, the reverse can be true: sometimes the right design for a
web page doesn't translate well to print. I appreciate the stripped-down
print options many sites offer. Epicurious.com, for example--the online page
has all the added value I enjoy when I'm reading the recipe, allowing me to
explore reader rankings, similar recipes, etc., but the print version is the
unadorned recipe in black and white, perfect for clipping to the fridge
while I'm cooking.

I'm just commenting philosophically that good screen design and good print
design are not necessarily the same, and a site can be wonderful and yet not
be print-optimized without some assistance. The Web is not a book.

Karen G. Schneider
kgs at bluehighways.com