Style Sheets/Style Guides

Andrew Darby adarby at ithaca.edu
Wed Aug 18 12:19:24 EDT 2004

I would argue that having consistent spelling IS important.  One thing
which separates library sites from the zillions of other information
sites/information portals out there, is the idea that librarians are
information experts, and the information they provide is higher quality
than things slapped up on the web by, say, Crazee joez LIst of Linkz.

If we allow our sites to become sloppy, they start to resemble some of
the more dubious information sources out there, and our "authority" is
degraded.  Slippery slope and all that.  Ditto for sites that aren't
consistent with their headers and subheaders, navigation, etc.  It looks
sloppy and unprofessional, and (perhaps unfairly) calls into question
the value/accuracy/etc. of the content.

My 2 cents.

Andrew Darby