[WEB4LIB] Library lingo

Michael Whang michael.whang at wmich.edu
Thu Aug 12 09:04:37 EDT 2004

This is a follow-up to my post yesterday regarding the use of CSS,
specifically the <acronym> attribute, to provide users with
contextual clues when mousing over a dubious term. It's a kinetic
solution, but it also works very well for text-only browsers.

=======================

The CSS is:

abbr,acronym,.help {
	border-bottom: 1px dotted #333;
	cursor: help;
}

The HTML is

provide a diverse
and up-to-date collection of library materials and in a variety of
formats. Listed
below is just a taste of what's in store for you here at Manoa. So
come in and
visit us!</p>

========================

Also referring to my original post, when you load the library web
page, the second word (MPL), first paragraph, should be underlined
with a dashed line and should read "Manoa Public Library". I use
Firefox, Opera, IE v 6.0, and Netscape 7.02, and they all show the
title="Manoa Public Library" attribute.
http://www.state.hi.us/hsl/mpl/about/collection.htm

--Michael Whang

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow...
Learn as if you were to live forever."
Mahatma Ghandhi

========================
Michael Whang
Head, Web and Internet Services
Western Michigan University Libraries
1903 W. Michigan Ave.
Kalamazoo, MI  49008-5353
p: 269-387-5184
e: michael.whang at wmich.edu

Does anybody has a program reaching out to faculty, students, or
general public to understand library lingo.  You know, that OPAC
(O-whaat?), Indexes (students I talked to think it's only refers to
the back of a text book), Databases (Computer Science students
scratched they heads because their understanding is about raw data,
not articles), Journal (and they think it means "diary")... stuff
like that.   Yes, I am aware of the list created by  John Kupersmith
(http://www.jkup.net/terms.html), but is there anybody willing to
share how they reach out to the people that probably never come to
the library, yet use the web site quite frequently?

thanks,
ranti.

--
Ranti Junus - Systems