Exchange Server and Webmail

Chris Murphy chrism at thecommunitylibrary.org
Tue Aug 10 18:07:44 EDT 2004

Occasionally, patrons on our public Internet stations report not being
able to access their web based email accounts at their
corporation/university/etc. In each case I've seen, the interface
appears to be with a Microsoft Exchange Server.

By policy, our public Internet stations do not permit access to
Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express, and I am guessing the server
requires some form of Outlook be installed on the client computer.

Is this correct? We don't use MS Outlook, and our mail server uses
Linux, so I am inexperienced with Exchange servers and their
requirements for web access.

I see this problem only a handful of times per year, but if there is an
easy way to get around it without enabling Outlook, I would like to do so.

Any advice or tips will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

--