[WEB4LIB] RE: Patrons causing problems with online gaming

Sue Kamm suekamm at mindspring.com
Tue Aug 10 10:51:42 EDT 2004

Hogue Melanie wrote:
> <snip>
> QUESTION: Regarding segregation by use, we are considering removal of
> Internet access from our computers that have word processing capabilities
> because we have patrons who would occupy these machines for surfing when
> there are people waiting to type resumes, etc. Does anyone have a story
> about the success or failure of this policy? I'm thinking that there are
> patrons who need Internet access to compile information for a letter or
> paper they are typing.

Do you have access to a techie?  There's a way to set up workstations so
a user can access certain websites - the library's OPAC, fee-based
databases the library subscribes to.  Such workstations could probably
suppor MS Office without providing entrance to the entire net.
--
Your friendly CyberGoddess and ALA Councilor-at-Large,
Sue Kamm
email:  suekamm at mindspring.com
Visit my homepage:  http://suekamm.home.mindspring.com/index.htm
"What I wonder is, where are all the guys who like to play baseball?"
--Wes Parker, former Dodger infielder