[WEB4LIB] RE: Patrons causing problems with online gaming

Hogue Melanie hogue_m at lib.chattanooga.gov
Tue Aug 10 09:48:31 EDT 2004

When we decided to block games and chat in our public library, we waited to
see if there would be a censorship problem. There wasn't. It was presented
as an allocation of resources problem related to the keeping of a written
Internet Policy.

Also, the problem of persons trying to use other people's library accounts
to abuse the time limits has been successfully handled by using Karen's idea
of identity theft. We had one young man who was bringing in groups of
different girls every day and showing them how to set up accounts on the
dating bulletin boards. He was logging on using his own and another woman's
account. We called her and found out that he did not have permission to be
using it, so we were able to ban him from the library for a year for
identity theft. Our policy states that anyone who gives false information to
obtain library services use can be denied. Needless to say we were also
worried about his activities with the women; but it was not our business to
investigate.

When we notice someone on the computers for an unusually long period of
time, we check the history to see if they are using two numbers. When this
is the case, we explain that allowing them to have more time than others
violates the spirit of the rules. We suggest that if they were the patron
waiting (and we do have people waiting at times) they would want fair
access.

QUESTION: Regarding segregation by use, we are considering removal of
Internet access from our computers that have word processing capabilities
because we have patrons who would occupy these machines for surfing when
there are people waiting to type resumes, etc. Does anyone have a story
about the success or failure of this policy? I'm thinking that there are
patrons who need Internet access to compile information for a letter or
paper they are typing.

Melanie Amy Hogue, Librarian I
Business, Science & Technology
Chattanooga-Hamilton County Bicentennial Library