[WEB4LIB] RE: Patrons causing problems with online gaming sites

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Fri Aug 6 13:56:29 EDT 2004

Benjamin,

I would second the points made here that the way to address the behavior
problem is to:

1) Have a policy about use and enforce it, including banning those who are
damaging the computers when they get caught.

2) Set time limits on use if the problem is limited resources and too much
demand.

As far as the kind of use, blocking or even threatening to block certain
kinds of traffic will likely cause more trouble than it is worth. While it
is understandable that the person wanting to work on their resume or do
"serious" research is going to be annoyed if they see a bunch of kids
playing games online, you really don't want to get into the role of judging
the quality of peoples time on the computer. Our attitude is "your time on
the computer is your time to do whatever you see fit, so long as it is legal
and consistent with our policies". We don't bump people from the easy chairs
who are reading Danielle Steel to make room for the person who wants to read
David McCullough. If you don't have enough computers to meet the demand,
limit the time that people can spend on the computers. Then you can
guarantee the patrons that something will be available shortly. Plus, from
what I've seen here on our Internet computers, adults play the online games
just as much as the kids. They just prefer the card games and crosswords
while the kids prefer something with more sound and action.

One thing I would caution against is trying to do too much segregation by
use. We do have 3 computers just for database access and CD-ROM use and 3
just for Word Processing. In a typical month, our usage stats in our Adult
area look something like this:

Internet (10 computers): In use 85% of the available hours
Word Processing (3 computers):  In use 15% of the available hours
Database/CD-ROM (3 computers): In use 6% of the available hours

As you can see, that's a ton of computer time being wasted on the database
computers to ensure that those resources are always available for our
patrons to use. It's something we'll have to revisit because while it is
based on good intentions, the end results just don't seem to justify the
restrictions.

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library