[WEB4LIB] OpenURL Systems - What are you using?

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Fri Aug 6 11:44:36 EDT 2004

Athena Hoeppner wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm curious what OpenURL systems (SFX and the like) are in use.  Has
>your library (or consortia) implemented OpenURL?  If so, what do you
>use?

OhioLINK uses a locally developed open source resolver.  In my
experience, resolvers are not difficult software (hey, if *I* can write
one...); the tricky part is establishing administrative control over
your electronic journal subscriptions.  If you're more or less able to
generate a table of your e-journals with columns for the site they're
located at, and years and/or volumes of coverage, you may want to look
at local development or open source options.  There is a small but
helpful community of OpenURL developers and link wranglers who can tell
you, for example, "To link to an article on site X, construct a URL like
this...".

If you don't have that subscription information, it may be worth the
price of a commercial package just to have the vendor sort it all out
for you.  Of course, it may ultimately be worth more to sit a staff
member down with instructions to do this, and let you use the
information as you think best.

--
Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu