[WEB4LIB] Question for the old timers out there

Mark J. Ludwig uldmjl at buffalo.edu
Tue Aug 31 23:24:40 EDT 2004

I cannot comment about ILSCO,
but I was a grad student at U of I in 1978.
I had a research assistantship in one
of the administrative offices. I learned a
programmming language called 'MARKIV',
which was a souped-up version of RPG.
My first project was to read in a cabinet
full of punched cards containing SAT
scores. I created a tape file of about
20,000 cards so the cabinet could be discarded and
free some space in the office.
Eventually I was given a Texas Instruments
Silent 700 thermal printing terminal and was
probably one of the first students to dial up
the IBM 370 from a dorm room at 1010
W. Green St. via an acoustic coupler for
an old fashioned phone.
There was no sign of a public computerized
library catalog on campus at that time. The
main library still had a beat-up card catalog
strung through several hallways. I'm sure
staff had OCLC terminals in the back room,
but we couldn't use them.
Expensive dial-up services such as BRS
offered searches of article databases but were
only accessible to librarians who performed the
searches for serious researchers by appointment.
U of I was way ahead of other schools at the time
because of the PLATO system. I believe thay actually
had to maufacture their own terminals, which had color
displays and touch sensitive screens. I remember
getting a map of campus on my first visit and being
very impressed. While mainly for Computer Assisted
Instruction, PLATO had a very early Campus Wide
Information System before CRT terminals were widely
available or affordable.

Mark J. Ludwig
Library Systems Manager
University Libraries