[WEB4LIB] Re: Testimony re: flash pens

K.G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Mon Aug 30 19:52:59 EDT 2004

> And that's why my flashdrive (a SanDisk Cruzer) lives on the
> lanyard/cord that it came with.  So far I've worn it a couple places I
> didn't intend to when I forgot to take it off, but I've not yet worn
> it into the shower or hot tub.  I lose pens faster than anything, so
> am sure I'd lose a pen drive in a couple days.  Or give it to a patron
> to fill out a form.  Or something equally stupid.

My flash drive (keychain drive? Flash pen? Thingy?) is a 256mb Lexar Sport
which I shopped for very carefully. Of course, months later, the 512 is the
same price as the 256 was, but I haven't even begun to fill this thing up
anyway, try as I might.

This drive is encased in a sturdy rubber surround with a hole big enough to
put on just about any keychain. The drive comes out of the surround to go
into the USB connector. You can't drop or lose the cap. Also, the drive
itself is slender, not one of those big ol' bulky things, which means it
snuggles in between other, plumper USB devices.

I have three thingies, one with a cap that falls off (came with a Dell), one
that has a tiny hole and a lanyard (SWAG from a vendor party), and the
Lexar. The Dell was honorably retired but continues to work fine, the SWAG
sits in its presentation box, unused but very cute, and the Lexar, hanging
from my keychain, is my true love. I'm extra careful with my keys (I have
this ID case that hangs on my keys, with my driver's license, so I don't
stuff keys into pants pockets or other places the drive might not be too
happy), which might make a difference. And I don't plan to *wash* my
keychain any time soon...

Karen G. Schneider
kgs at bluehighways.com