[WEB4LIB] Re: Top 5 PERL Wiki Engines?

Stephen Meyer stephen_meyer at ncsu.edu
Wed Aug 25 16:49:02 EDT 2004

 From Learning Perl, 3rd Edition by Tom Phoenix and Randal L. Schwartz,
footnote in the Intoduction:

"It's actually a retronym, not an acronym. That is, Larry came up with
the name first, and the expansion later. That's why "Perl" isn't in all
caps."

K.G. Schneider wrote:

>>: Er, no, a quick check (in Google, I searched with define: perl) reveals
>>: it is "Perl,"  a proper noun derived from an acronym (Practical
>>: Extraction and Research Language).
>>
>>Perl the language is just "Perl."  Any acronyms were made up after the
>>name.  See "What is the difference between Perl and perl?" in the Perl
>>FAQ at
>>

> It doesn't matter when an acronym is created; if it's created after the
> fact, it's still an acronym.
>
> Kittens and Rabbits Eaten Never,
>
> Karen G. Schneider
> kgs at bluehighways.com

Stephen Meyer
NCSU Libraries Fellow
North Carolina State University

Home Dept: Textiles     Project Dept: Systems
Phone: 919.513.3862     Phone: 919.515.7694
Fax: 919.515.3926       Fax: 919.513.3330

stephen_meyer at ncsu.edu