[WEB4LIB] Librarian: Don't use Wikipedia as source

Edward Wigg e-wigg at epl.org
Wed Aug 25 13:42:26 EDT 2004

"Librarian: Don't use Wikipedia as source"

Despite what the librarian in the article claims, critical thinking
does not require you to rely on appeals to authority.

The Encyclopeadia Britannica contains errors, and the Wikipedia
contains much that is correct. Blindly accepting something from either
source is a mistake: editorial reputation may be a strong indicator of
correctness, but it is no guarantee. Likewise much that is in the
Wikipedia is correct despite its lack of editors; it may well make a
good STARTING PLACE for finding out more on a subject. If she is
against blind reliance on what you find on the Internet then I'm in
agreement, but then I'm against blind reliance on printed sources too.

There is also something perverse about complaining that anyone can
change the content of an article in a wiki -- isn't that the whole
point?

Edward