[WEB4LIB] Search engines, again

K.G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Tue Aug 17 16:31:26 EDT 2004

> Thanks to those of you who contributed requirements documents for search
> engines. Also, someone wrote me about my original query and I'm afraid I
> can't find that message. I'll be more than happy to share the draft RFI I
> developed with individuals on request.
>
> I am actually rather surprised how infrequently discussions about
> selecting
> search engines arise on Web4Lib, unless I am simply not searching
> correctly.
> Who among us have implemented, replaced, or upgraded search engines in the
> last year or two, what did you pick, and are you happy with it, and why?

Oh yeah, and while I'm at it, why don't I give you a little context? I left
out important information. I'm not talking about searching catalogs (though
I *could,* ad infinitum, ad nauseum); I'm talking about searching small Web
portals containing metadata-enhanced documents.  (And to someone who wrote
off-list, federated search capabilities are listed as desirable in the draft
RFI.)

Karen G. Schneider
kgs at bluehighways.com