[WEB4LIB] RE: "Style" sheets

Jimm Wetherbee jimm at wingate.edu
Tue Aug 17 14:01:49 EDT 2004

Regarding does and does not qualify as a foolish consistency.

Our site is small and so I am the sole editor (which is somewhat scary).  As
such, I do edit the copy I am given and try to be consistent with
expressions.  For instance, I prefer "a.m." to "AM" and "web-site" to either
"web site" or "website."  So I change them; why, because I can, and because
it does give a somewhat cleaner look.  On the other hand, because most
people are easily able to process "a.m." and "AM" as the same thing, I would
not insist that everyone publish these consistently if there were multiple
editors.  These would be "foolish consistencies." Because adhering to them
does not add to one's ability to understand the content of the site.

Where consistency becomes a real issue is when one runs across terms or
usages that are not immediately seen as equivalent.  Here I try (and often
fail) to adhere to consistency in part because there is no guide.  For
instance, our list of periodicals is called the "PLL" or Periodical Location
List.  Both terms are used interchangeably between librarian and patron and
it shows up on the web-site.  In such cases I try to place both terms in
close proximity where one would likely entire them first and then move to
the (or perhaps *my*) preferred term once one moves deeper into the site.
The web, being non-linear, doesn't always work that way.  Here a style guide
or manual would be helpful, as a way to remove ambiguity.  This would hardly
be seen as foolish.  Indeed the most nit-picking part of style guides (the
format used to cite documents) is perhaps the best example how such guides
remove ambiguity by giving a very precise description of the source in
question and doing so in such a manner that is fairly easy to understand.

--jimm

---