[WEB4LIB] RE: "Style" sheets

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Tue Aug 17 11:48:13 EDT 2004

Drew, Bill wrote:

>Don't forget the old adage: "Consistency is the bugaboo of small minds."  I
>think such things as requiring web or Web to be consistent are counter
>productive and overly bureaucratic.  It is nitpicking at its worst.
>
>Bill Drew

A *foolish* consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.  (Emerson, my
emphasis.)  Foolishness varies from one situation to another.  We're
talking about guides for sites that have many authors writing content,
and that have a reasonable interest in looking consistent.  They pick
the nits, and we get a nit-free editorial opinion on what strikes
readers as current and what seems stilted or outdated.  Take it as a
requirement, a guideline, or a suggestion as you see fit.

--
Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu