Patrons causing problems with online gaming

Peter Murray Peter.Murray at uconn.edu
Sun Aug 15 15:32:44 EDT 2004

Sue Kamm wrote:

>Hogue Melanie wrote:
>

>>QUESTION: Regarding segregation by use, we are considering removal of
>>Internet access from our computers that have word processing capabilities
>>because we have patrons who would occupy these machines for surfing when
>>there are people waiting to type resumes, etc. Does anyone have a story
>>about the success or failure of this policy? I'm thinking that there are
>>patrons who need Internet access to compile information for a letter or
>>paper they are typing.
>>

>Do you have access to a techie?  There's a way to set up workstations so
>a user can access certain websites - the library's OPAC, fee-based
>databases the library subscribes to.  Such workstations could probably
>suppor MS Office without providing entrance to the entire net.

There are in fact ways to solve this (and the original question) using
proxy servers.  In this case, you could set up a proxy server with a
"white list" that limits web access to only the designated services.  In
the case of the original message in this thread, one could set up a
proxy server that blocks access to the gaming sites and instead puts up
a message explaining the usage policy.  (The latter is harder, of
course, because where would one find a comprehensive list of
game-playing sites.)  I talk about each of these in my LITA Regional
Institute of Web Proxy Servers and Authentication
(http://www.pandc.org/proxy/) and there might be enough information
outline in the slides for you or your designated 'techie' to develop a
solution.

Peter