[WEB4LIB] RE: Use of Blogs in Instruction? | Student-Recommended

Shane Nackerud snackeru at tc.umn.edu
Wed Aug 11 11:34:23 EDT 2004

The University of Minnesota Libraries have been hosting blogs for the
entire U of M campus community through our UThink:  Blogs at the University
Libraries project found at:

         http://blog.lib.umn.edu/

We've been running the project for about 4 months now and so far 455 blogs
have been created, and over 400 faculty, staff, and students have used the
service.  U of M community members can easily create a blog with their
central authentication Internet ID and password.  Users are literally up
and running in less than 30 seconds.  We created the service to allow for
team or class blogs, where multiple authors can access and modify a single
blog, and many students and professors have taken advantage of this:

         http://blog.lib.umn.edu/ratli008/summer04/
         http://blog.lib.umn.edu/enge0385/BIE5475/
         http://blog.lib.umn.edu/coop0197/onelife/

Many other professors have expressed an interest in using UThink for class
blogs in the fall semster.  We have also successfully integrated our SFX
service into UThink so that researchers can easily post SFX citations to
their blog(s) from an SFX menu
(http://blog.lib.umn.edu/radh0003/research/).  We have been in "test" mode
for most of the summer, but UThink has already created a buzz on campus for
the libraries. The project has opened a lot of doors for the libraries,
including our recent publishing of the "Into the Blogosphere" online
collection (http://blog.lib.umn.edu/blogosphere/) in partnership with the
Department of Rhetoric.  Other departments on campus have already contacted
us with other publishing ideas for UThink thanks to the success of "Into
the Blogosphere."

Blogs in education is indeed a big field and it is my hope that libraries
can begin to take a more active role in their creation, dissemination, and
archiving.  And like I said, they can open a lot of doors for libraries
that are willing to take the plunge.

Shane

snackeru at tc.umn.edu
625-7880