[WEB4LIB] Limiting searches to online only items

Roy Tennant roy.tennant at ucop.edu
Thu Aug 5 14:17:11 EDT 2004

Again, I am amazed at the Web4Lib community. I posted my query about
catalogs that make it possible to limit searches to online items last
night, and within an hour or two I had replies back from Canada, Qatar,
and Australia. In much less than 24 hours I had received 19 replies,
all helpful. Below is the summary, along with a beginning laundry list
of issues relating to this function. Thanks to all who helped (names
below),
Roy

Systems Mentioned:
* University of Utah, http://catalog.lib.utah.edu/
* University of California Libraries, http://melvyl.cdlib.org/
* Weill Cornell Medical College in Qatar,
http://libq.med.cornell.edu/search
* University of Adelaide,
http://voyager.library.adelaide.edu.au/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?
DB=local&PAGE=First
* Flinders University,
http://voyager.cc.flinders.edu.au/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?
DB=local&PAGE=First
* University of South Australia,
http://catalogue.library.unisa.edu.au/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?
DB=local&PAGE=First
* Australian National University, http://library.anu.edu.au/
* Ohio University, http://alice.library.ohiou.edu/
* Vanderbilt University, http://acorn.library.vanderbilt.edu/
* Franklin UPenn, http://www.franklin.library.upenn.edu/
* Bryn Mawr, Haverford, Swarthmore, http://tripod.brynmawr.edu/search/t
* Michigan State University, http://magic.msu.edu/search~S8
* Western North Carolina Library Network, http://wncln.wncln.org/
* Wright State University, http://wsuol2.wright.edu/
* University of Virginia,
https://virgo.lib.virginia.edu/cgi-local/opac.pl?element=60/1315/
X&level=public
* University of Michigan, http://mirlyn.lib.umich.edu/
* Dartmouth, http://libcat.dartmouth.edu/
* MIT, http://library.mit.edu/
* OCLC's FirstSearch, http://firstsearch.oclc.org/
* Charleston Southern University,
http://lib.csuniv.edu/uhtbin/cgisirsi.exe/x/0/49
* New York State Library, http://nysl.nysed.gov/

Issues Found (these do not apply to all systems):
* No immediate link to full-text in search results (usually available
in the full record display)
* Items are available online in full-text, but SFX reports "no
full-text available" (and the user must go to the full record to see
the link).
* No way to distinguish web-accessible from items like CD-ROMS
* Option to limit not readily apparent, some catalogs require clicking
a "set limits" button and reviewing many choices, often from scrolling
menus, to find the right limit
* Some have no apparent way to limit the search initially, therefore
the limit must be applied after the search is first executed
* Some put online items as a separate file or catalog, others treat as
a limit to a search
* Competing limits (which one to use?): Item Type: "website or etext or
ebook or compfile" or Location: online?
* "Online" sometimes means only the table of contents or some other
part, but not the full-text
* The labels used for describing the limit vary widely, and may include
items which are not online (e.g., CD-ROMs). Examples found include:
"E-books", "Electronic Resources", "Web Resources", "INTERNET",
"Online/Computer Resources", "Computer File". "Online Resources",
"Electronic Resources (web)", "Internet Resources"

Thanks to: David Mattison, Dianne Cmor, Stephen Cramond, Arvind Kalia,
Thomas Dowling, Marshall Breeding, John Hubbard, Hui Hua Chua, Thomass
Bennett, Marty Jenkins, Jim Campbell, Patricia Anderson, Jennifer
Merrill, Nina Davis-Millis, Ginny Brown, Megan Mitchell, Ellen Meltzer,
Diane Madrigal, and Eileen Lutzow