[WEB4LIB] Help needed: username/password authentication

gagnew at rci.rutgers.edu gagnew at rci.rutgers.edu
Fri Jan 31 16:59:45 EST 2003

Kerry,

Internet2 is a sponsor of Shibboleth, an authorization and authentication
open standards protocol with attendant implementations to address issues
such as this, not just for individual institutions but across institutions
for consortial and collaborative activities needing standardized
authentication and access.  Currently, Shibboleth requires LDAP
(lightweight directory access protocol), although there are plans to extend
it to other database architectures.  The National Science Digital Library
is using Shibboleth for authentication and authorization to resources
available via the NSDL portal that are restricted to certain audiences.
The Library of Congress and Association of Moving Image Archives-sponsored
moving image portal (MIC), an NSDL project will also be using Shibboleth to
authenticate and authorize participants to make changes to their data and
settings.

All this to say, it's a new standard but the implementations are
increasingly robust.  I believe Internet2 is currently working with some
libraries to implement Shibboleth for access to commercial databases and
journals.

Ken Klingenstein at the University of Colorado is one of the chief
architects of Shibboleth and I believe is working on the commercial
database/journal implementation.  You might contact him for further
information.  My understanding is that it is still new enough that it takes
a month or two of cursing and sweating to implement, but mature enough that
its no longer  six months of hair tearing and heavy drinking. :-)

Ken's email:  Ken.Klingenstein at Colorado.EDU

Grace Agnew