[WEB4LIB] RE: Bobby standards vs Flash and Fireworks

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Fri Jan 31 11:45:35 EST 2003

At 11:19 AM 1/31/2003, Scritchfield, Larry wrote:
>Graphics programs DO have a bearing on accessibility.
>
>See
>
>Colour-blind computer users see things differently from most people, but
>this is seldom considered in the design of software or web pages.
>http://www.btexact.com/ideas/whitepapers?doc=42266

It's explicitly addressed in accessibility standards.

WCAG checkpoint 2.1: Ensure that all information conveyed with color is
also available without color, for example from context or markup. [Priority 1]

Section 508 paragraph 22(c): Web pages shall be designed so that all
information conveyed with color is also available without color, for
example from context or markup.

I think the previous comment indicated that the choice of graphics editor
does not affect the accessibility of the final graphic.  I can make equally
unreadable red-on-green graphics in Fireworks, Photoshop, or the Gimp.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu