[WEB4LIB] Bobby standards vs Flash and Fireworks

Andrew Stevens lists at 4serendipity.com
Thu Jan 30 21:11:11 EST 2003

Hello,

First, I wouldn't recommend basing too much of your investigation of
accessibility standards compliance on sites that have the Bobby logo.

Anyone can slap a logo on their site.  Fewer produce sites that
actually comply with guidelines.  Fewer still produce sites which
provide users of alternative access devices with an efficient, usable
browsing experience.

There is no substitution for gaining a solid foundation of accessible site design.

You can start your journey by looking at the following sites.

Section 508 Accessibility Checkpoints
http://www.section508.gov/index.cfm?FuseAction=Content&ID=12#Web

Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI)
http://www.w3.org/WAI/

Web Accessibility in Mind
http://webaim.org/

Accessibility Forum
http://www.accessibilityforum.org/

I'm also compiled some accessibility guidelines at:
http://indstate.edu/webguide/5_access/

Best of luck,

 Andrew
http://www.4serendipity.com