[WEB4LIB] RE: Opera 7.0 released

Thomas Bennett bennetttm at appstate.edu
Thu Jan 30 12:26:18 EST 2003

Opera 7.0 for Windows does the same except the choice for IE is only 6.0
now.  I've found these id choices useful for accessing my credit union site
and sharebuilder.com.  When id is set to Opera one or both these sites give
you a page indicating that you need NSN or IE in certain versions.  When I
reset the id to Moz or IE I get into the site and in the past have been able
to use all features of the site.  Sometimes I can even switch the id back to
Opera after logging in and have no problem.

Strange occurence with Opera 7 beta was that my wheel mouse was not
supported for scrolling the page up and down but I could push the
wheel/button and move the mouse forward and back to scroll the page.
Turning the wheel to scroll the page is working in the final 7.0 release.  I
wish the search button was still beside the Google Search box which made it
convenient to paste with the mouse and click the button.  They did bring the
Go button back in the final release which was not in the Beta for the URL
box.

For those who don't like the banner ads can open a program like winzip which
has an always on top setting and size it to cover the banner ad although you
have to move it if you move the browser window.  Maybe one of those sticky
note program might stay with the browser window.

I use Opera on Windows, Linux, and embedded Linux(Zaurus with a wireless
compact flash ethernet card) and only use IE or NSN when accesibility is
thwarted by wild coding or looking to see differences in an html page viewed
in different browsers.

By the way, correct me if I'm wrong, but one of the founders of Opera was
also one the W3C members(and maybe a founder) and works torward W3C
comliance with all iterations of Opera.  The speed of the new Opera (a total
rewrite) is significantly faster than the previous versions which were quite
fast for thier time.

Thomas