[WEB4LIB] RE: Opera 7.0 released

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Thu Jan 30 10:58:04 EST 2003

We've dealt with this same issue with K-Meleon. Sometimes "tricking" the site with
a different user agent string will let you get past their crude browser checking
scripts. However, I think the bigger issue that Thomas touched on was the sites
that use Javascript that only Internet Explorer recognizes. Even if you fool the
site to let you in, the Gecko engine (for
Mozilla/Netscape/Phoenix/Chimera/K-Meleon/Galeon/etc.) doesn't know how to handle
that script because it is non-standard. Unfortunately, some web sites don't want to
be bothered writing to standards when IE will let them do such fun things as
resetting your home page that other browsers ignore.

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library
Waterford, MI