Public Workstations, IE, and Restricted Sites

Michael O Purcell purcell at louisville.edu
Fri Jan 17 08:40:23 EST 2003

Is anyone using IE-SPYAD for Internet Explorer on their public
workstations?  I was looking for a list of sites that have mischevious
ActiveX controls (Gator, Comet Cursor, etc...) that I could put in IE's
Restricted sites zone.  I came across IE-SPYAD and am wondering if this
is overkill.

http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/resource.htm#IESPYAD

"IE-SPYAD is a Registry file (IE-ADS.REG) that adds a long list of
known advertisers, marketers, and spyware pushers to the Restricted
sites zone of Internet Explorer. Once IE-ADS.REG is "merged" into your
Registry, most direct marketers and spyware pushers will not be able to
resort to their usual "tricks" (e.g., cookies, scripts, popups, et al)
in order to monitor and track your behavior while you surf the Net."

Michael Purcell, Network Admin, purcell at louisville.edu
University Libraries, Office of Libraries Technology
University of Louisville,  Louisville, KY 40292
Phone: (502) 852-3903  |  Pager: (502) 455-1036