[WEB4LIB] Re: Library Hi-Tech News piece

Sloan, Bernie bernies at uillinois.edu
Mon Jan 6 16:42:55 EST 2003

Yes, Web4Lib did steal some of PACS-L's thunder. See the following excerpt
from Walt Crawford's " Talking About Public Access: PACS-L's First Decade."
(Full article available at: http://home.att.net/~wcc.libmedx/pacsl.htm)

Diffusion: Other Lists, Other Methods

Bernie Sloan suggests that one reason for the decline of PACS-L was "the
retention of fairly tight editorial policies that may have worked well when
PACS-L was the only game in town, but didn't work quite so well given the
availability of other (unmoderated) lists"-but he also thinks that PACS-L's
decline had much to do with "the appearance of many other library-related
lists (drawing away PACS-L traffic)."

Nancy Buchanan agrees that the most important factor in the decline of
PACS-L as a topical forum was "the proliferation of other, more specific
lists." There were many other electronic fora available by 1999: hundreds
(if not thousands) of library-related lists. To some extent, that explosion
of lists diffused the role of PACS-L-but as the largest of all library
lists, it continued to be a prime venue for the kind of messages that don't
invite discussion.

Jim Morgan (Indiana University Purdue) notes: "A lot of the lively
discussion on PACS-L migrated to other lists. I know when CDROMLAN formed a
lot of the important technical discussion migrated there, and when WEB4LIB
started up it instantly attracted most of the lively discussion on all
topics." Bill Drew comments: "The same hardcore characters show up in lots
of the lists. I see several people from PACS-L and WEB4LIB on the new
EZProxy list, occasionally on COLLIB-L and even that relatively slow list
SYSLIB-L."