[WEB4LIB] managed collection of sites

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Tue Sep 17 14:38:28 EDT 2002

Tuesday, September 17, 2002, 10:01:59 AM, you wrote:

RB> Recently we had issues with a couple of kids accessing porn sites on
RB> machines in the Youth Services Dept. (Ah, sweet innocent youth! :)) Our YS
RB> Librarians decided that they wanted to go to a managed collection of URLs.
RB> They identified about 1200 sites they want to include.

Welcome to the world of filtering.  As you can see, it is a bottomless
pit.

Have your colleagues considered dealing with this in a
non-technological way?  Maybe kids who surf porn should be banned from
the library, have a letter sent to parents, be beaten with an old
encyclopedia volume, or something else.  Technology is NOT always the
best answer.  As we're fond of telling folks here, "That's not a
technology problem, that's a management problem."

dan

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan at RiverOfData.com 208-283-7711
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA