[WEB4LIB] Re: Joe Janes on Google

Roy Tennant roy.tennant at ucop.edu
Wed Sep 25 11:33:38 EDT 2002

Joe is perfectly capable of defending himself, should he wish to do so,
so if it looks like I'm defending him, I'm not. I'm defending myself,
since I like that quote. I'm fond of saying that only librarians like
to _search_ -- everyone else likes to _find_. His quote is similar, in
that it isn't insulting to those who seek information to acknowledge
that they don't want to be taught how to do it. The fact that they need
to be at all is at least partly an indictment of our systems. So the
real solution is a mix of things -- much better automated systems, good
point-of-use instructions, and yes, perhaps even some class time here
and there. But to bet the farm on BI is misguided. And I also find it
disturbing that you would allow one quote with which you disagree to
color your view of everything else a person says. If I thought that
people were judging me completely based on one thing I've said, I might
be scared into not saying anything at all. For those of you now
dreaming of such a wonderful day, keep dreaming.
Roy