[WEB4LIB] Intranets

Andro Gagne apgagne at frontiernet.net
Thu Sep 12 22:06:48 EDT 2002

Ann:

         Looks like I answered your later e-mail before the earlier one.

         At 05:36 PM 9/12/02 -0400, you wrote:

> >          Hmmmmm.  I'm a little concerned that she may not
> > have the whole picture based on my résumé, as I would bring much more to
> > your workplace
>
>Just my $.02 but Linda, Medical Informatics Director, is looking for balance
>of background in clinical (nursing, M.D., etc.), IS (web, database, major
>clinical application support and development, etc.) + other soft skills.
>Your resume as is looks great for that. Plus your personal communication
>with me has been a big plus. She is not looking for a web designer, I AM. My
>preference in a candidate would be for someone with some web skills in
>addition to other application development and support abilities. There is
>grunt work to be done as well as the fun development stuff.

         Well, so far, I haven't read anything I don't like.

> > programming.  She  should also know that I enjoy developing innovative
>intranet-based
> > information resources and knowledge-sharing solutions for
> > other departments  as well as developing on-line reference resources for
>library
> > users.
>
>Great, you can tell her this in the interview!
>
> >          I'd love to join you and get to work!  If a
> > full-time job at Mercy is not in the cards, however, I would be willing to
>work with
> > you on a  temporary contract basis if you were allowed to set this up.
>
>You can mention this during the interview too. So far I have only seen
>consultants hired when absolutely necessary to support our major clinical
>systems. But I am sure you can make a case for your skills. And this
>department is likely going to grow. I know there are opportunities for me to
>interface the Intranet with other web services integration. And there is our
>Internet site, Mercylink.org, that they would like to bring under in-house
>control.

         That sounds great to me!

>  That will require additional talent/FTE than what we currently have
>on board.

         Sounds better still!

>Did you get my voicemail. You've got yourself an interview if you foot the
>bill! There were over 500 applicants, yep 500. Your resume just slipped in
>there somehow...

         Yes, I got your voice mail, and I'm very pleased.  I'll be calling
you first thing in the morning.  As regards the resume just slipping in
there somehow...well, it's always nice to have allies!  I guess I owe you a
cold one--if you're a beer drinker--or a cup of something else if you're not.

>Interviews are already set for this week and next Tuesday. If HR hasn't
>gotten touch with you I'd suggest you call quick to setup an interview.

         Yup.  First thing in the morning.

> > year.  I'd love to show you how you can do it without depending on
>Microsoft's view of the world.
>
>Others in the department are also interested in learning other ways of doing
>things. We just need to be guided a bit.

         Well, I'm not holding myself out to be a guide so much as a person
who enjoys information problem-solving, trying out new ways of doing things
digitally, and helping others with the same.  I like getting my hands dirty
digitally, if you know what I mean, and I don't mind if some of my ideas
don't work out quite the way I hoped the first time round.  I just dig in
again with another idea and keep doing it until the darned thing works the
way I want it to.  Stubbornness has its virtues.  : - )  Actually, it's
probably not stubbornness so much as the fact that I love being able to
create things.

         Well, enough of my ramblings.  Talk to you in the AM.

Best regards,

Andy (Andro P. Gagné)