[WEB4LIB] Re: 99.9% of web sites obsolete?

Karen G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Thu Sep 12 16:56:12 EDT 2002

:This is assuming that Joe Novice is willing and able to read the
:instructions that you provide on the use of the template.

Like the instructions that came with quill and parchment, or pen and
paper?

I blame all this on the typewriter.  It set a precedent that tools for
generating materials in dominant literary genres could be difficult
enough to require formal education.

Now we have the Web, where Jane Austen would be chided for not closing
her tags, and no doubt in the same tone of voice techies reserve for
scolding hapless office workers who have not provided every detail
indicating *when* and *how* the problem happened, as if they knew or
cared.  The wrong people are in control.  And too often, the machines
are in control, as well--of our time, our values, and our priorities.

Karen G. Schneider kgs at lii.org  http://lii.org
Director,    Librarians' Index to the Internet
lii.org  New This Week:     http://lii.org/ntw
      lii.org: Information You Can Trust!