[WEB4LIB] 99.9% of web sites obsolete?

Karen Harker Karen.Harker at UTSouthwestern.edu
Thu Sep 12 08:10:47 EDT 2002

To get back to the subject of the email, I think what should be taken
into consideration is the audience of the site you are designing. If
your audience is set on using v2-3 of Netscape, then you should probably
code for that. Where the threshold lies is subjective...5%, 15%, 25%?
As in most of life, balance is the key. Bandwidth of HTML is not as
imperative a concern as bandwidth of images or audio files. But we
should realize that standards are very, very difficult to create and
enforce. After 100 years of making cars, we still have few
interchangeable parts.

Karen R. Harker, MLS
UT Southwestern Medical Library
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Dallas, TX  75390-9049
214-648-1698
http://www.swmed.edu/library/
>>> Paul Taylor <ptaylor at tln.lib.mi.us> 09/11/02 18:14 PM >>>
Dredged from Slashdot--an excerpt from "Forward Compatability: Designing
and
Building with Standards"

Here's the URL:
http://www.digital-web.com/features/feature_2002-09.shtml

And here's the text:

99.9% of Websites Are Obsolete

An excerpt from Forward Compatibility: Designing & Building With
Standards
By Jeffrey Zeldman

--
Paul Taylor