Computer training naysayers

Reed, Tracey treed at clearwater-fl.com
Wed Oct 23 15:13:08 EDT 2002

Greetings one and all -
(sincere apologies for cross-posting)

I know there is a contigent of people out there who believe that we should
not be training patrons in Word, Excel, etc. There are also those that
believe that we shouldn't be training at all.

I've been tasked with putting together a presentation on the pros and
cons of computer training in the library. We're in the process of
revamping our training program and there are those that would like to
see it go away. I want to preempt their arguments in this presentation.

Now, I know the pros. And I've found a ton of resources to support my
arguments. What I can't seem to find are any resources (electronic or
otherwise) that support the cons. I've already posted this to a library
computer trainers email group, but you guys rock when it comes to answers...

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as always.

-tracey