Home Page Hijacking

Linda Schwartz schwartzl at cliu.org
Wed Oct 23 13:14:25 EDT 2002

Can anyone tell me how to prevent our home page from being changed by
hijacking websites?  We are running IE 6.0 and WinXP Pro.  We are having
more and more trouble with patrons visiting other sites and having our
home page hijacked into bonzai.com, bolt.com etc. etc. I believe this is
occurring without conscious patron activity, that is, it is simply
surfing to the site that is causing the problem, not users deliberately
attempting to change the home page --- Fortres locks them out from doing
this manually. Every day I have to check all PACs and reset all of the
ones that have been changed the preceeding day. Since we have icons for
our home page, our news page and our pac on the desktop that's 3 checks
per computer. TIME CONSUMING!

So far, I've gotten suggestions to buy a different security program,
install Centurion Guards or simply restrict every website that
hijacks.We are planning on install Centurions but are not ready for that
step yet.

I found some info in the WEb4Lib archives and at
www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/537 that tells how to edit the
registry to prevent home page changes, but I do not find the
corresponding files in the registry in WinXP so these instructions will
probably not work.

Linda Matula Schwartz

Systems Librarian

Whitehall Township Public Library