[WEB4LIB] Linux on public computers

Raymond Wood raywood at magma.ca
Wed Oct 2 18:18:09 EDT 2002

On Tue, Oct 01, 2002 at 10:51:51AM -0700, Junus, Ranti imagined:
> [cross-posted to oss4lib, syslib-l, web4lib.  My apologies for the duplicates.]
>
> Dear All,
>
> Our System Administrator here reported that Indiana University
> recently modified one of its student computer labs (not the
> library) to use the Linux desktops and it seeems quite
> "successful enough that IU is considering using it as a
> pattern for other student lab situations."  He's been in touch
> with the IU tech folks to see if this is also feasible for our
> library (is there any IU-Library folks here?  Could you shed
> any more info?)
>
> I know that Meadville public library is using linux for their
> public PCs (http://meadvillelibrary.org/os/).  Are there any
> other libraries out there (especially academic ones) that also
> use linux for (some or all) public PCs?   If you could share
> the story on the details (HW, SW, network, printing issues if
> you do the no-free printing solution, management and
> maintenance, etc.) that would be very helpful.   I'll sumarize
> the responses.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> ranti.

I have mentioned this before, and probably will again:
  http://www.ltsp.org/

The Linux Terminal Server Project sounds really really
interesting.  Here's a short excerpt from the website:
  "Linux makes a great platform for deploying diskless
  workstations that boot from a network server. The LTSP is all
  about running thin client computers in a GNU/Linux environment".

I'd certainly be interested in your summary to the list too.

Cheers,
Raymond
--
"You deserve to be able to cooperate openly and freely with other
people who use software.  You deserve free software."