[WEB4LIB] Anyone using or planning for .NET (microsoft .net, dot-net)

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Thu Oct 31 15:46:17 EST 2002

At 03:34 PM 10/31/2002, Douglas Goans wrote:
>Hi everyone.
>
>We are currently using Microsoft Windows IIS with ASP and Access or MySQL
>databases for some of our web services here at the library.
>
>Is anyone on this list using or planning on implementing Microsoft .NET
>now or in the future?

I don't know about planning, but as of last week, none of the web servers
indexed in Libweb was running IIS 6.0, which I understand to the be the
.NET web server.

I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that Apache 2 matches IIS performance
on Windows, without the history of security gaps (I hear that IIS 6 has
addressed security more responsibly than previous releases, but that isn't
saying too much).

>I would also welcome any articles or urls about libraries and .net if you
>know of them.
>
>Keywords for archive indexing: microsoft .net, dot-net, dot net, web services

I wonder if product names like .NET and C# were chosen by some anti-MS
subversive to make them essentially unsearchable.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu