[WEB4LIB] Federal Ruling II

Blake Carver carver.50 at osu.edu
Mon Oct 21 15:06:55 EDT 2002

I just noticed this one over at CNET, seems to go against the other ruling.

Judge: Disabilities Act doesn't cover Web
http://news.com.com/2100-1023-962761.html?tag=fd_top_1

In the first case of its kind, U.S. District Judge Patricia Seitz said the
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) applies only to physical spaces such
as restaurants and movie theaters and not to the Internet.

"To expand the ADA to cover 'virtual' spaces would be to create new rights
without well-defined standards," Seitz wrote in a 12-page opinion
dismissing the case. "The plain and unambiguous language of the statute and
relevant regulations does not include Internet Web sites."

At 09:21 AM 10/21/2002 -0700, Greg Facincani wrote:
>I was forwarded this article, not sure of the source, but the link to U.S.
>District Court Northern District of Georgia is correct.
>Judge Rules That Inaccessible Website Violates ADA
>October 15, 2002
>A federal judge ruled that the Atlanta mass transit agency violated the ADA
>by constructing a website that was inaccessible for people with visual
>disabilities. This is one of the first cases to decide that the ADA requires
>online access for people with disabilities.
><deletia>

Blake Carver
Web Librarian
The Ohio State University Libraries