[WEB4LIB] Re: Collegiality is unchanged; ditto the reference interview

Frank Bridge bridgef at co.chesterfield.va.us
Mon Oct 21 10:54:10 EDT 2002

I cannot speak for Mr. Drew.  However, my response remains completely
unchanged.  I did not understand the scope of the student's question,
and would have asked for clarification as part of a standard reference
interview.  This portion of my response would have been unchanged
whether or not I had known that the asker was a student.

However, once knowing that the person was a student, I would have
attempted to determine whether, through my response to the reference
question, I was interfering with the purpose of the assignment.  It
would not be the first time that a student has asked me a reference
question that the student was supposed to answer fully him/herself as
part of the assignment.

You also posed the question, "...What if you, as a digital resource, are
part of the research?"  That question is a good example of what I would
try to untangle as part of answering the student's inquiry.  I also
believe that the student has some responsibility for explaining this to
me at the start of the exchange.  I am doing that student a disservice
by knowingly or unknowingly performing his/her work.

And I could not determine whether this actually was the student's work,
based upon the original question as framed by the student.