Collegiality is unchanged; ditto the reference interview

Frank Bridge bridgef at co.chesterfield.va.us
Fri Oct 18 17:43:16 EDT 2002

I saw the student's posting in the same way as Mr. Drew--it was
difficult to determine what the student wanted.    His posting suffered
from the same problem as any other reference question we receive daily
on the floors of our libraries--determining the exact nature of the
inquiry, and the lengths to which the answerer is expected to go in
order to provide a satisfactory response.

This is particularly interesting to untangle when the asker is a student
who is expected to gain educational experience from performing the
research and completing the assignment himself.

--
Frank R. Bridge,
Technology Management Administrator