timeout software

Griffin, Jackie JGriffin at ci.berkeley.ca.us
Thu Oct 3 13:30:00 EDT 2002

Expires After: 11/6/2002 23:00

I promised that I would get back to people about what we found about timeout
software.
We have decided to jettison Cybrarian.  We found some people who seemed to
be
able to use Cybrarian satisfactorily but it appears that, as in all things,
the more complicated the system, the less likely Cybrarian was to be able to
handle it.  In addition, others also seemed as frustrated as we were about
support.
We have found a product from a Canadian company, Telus.  It is a
registration
and timeout software.  It seems to do everything we wanted and more,
including
managing signups at all our branches, systemwide suspension of patrons and
creation of temporary cards for patrons who do not have them.
It is not cheap-our setup will be roughly $25,000 plus annual fees.  That is
probably less money than we spend in staff time in one month on computer
signup issues.
I will be happy to let anyone know what our experience continues to be if
you
would like.

Jackie Griffin
Director of Library Services