[WEB4LIB] RE: HTML Referring?

Richard Harrison Richard_Harrison at mindspring.com
Tue Oct 22 21:39:31 EDT 2002

>   1. Script-driven solutions (e.g. PHP).
>   2. Server Side Includes (SSI).
>   3. Frames.
>   4. Search and Replace techniques.
>   5. Manual editing.

6. Client Side Includes
- use JavaScript source files to build a string containing the desired,
global (or at least multi-page) stuff and then call document.write()
with the string
- in each page that requires the global code, use an in-line script call
to the source file

This has the advantage of permitting the update of one source file to
affect all calling pages, which seems a main issue. Additionally, the
script source only has to be read once per session by the client
(without going into history, caching, etc. vagaries).

I've used this to overcome lack of SSI access and a desire to avoid
frames, due to search engine issues (I frankly love frames, tho' I no
longer use them). The solution allows for frame-looking table abuse with
things like the main navigation controls constant across all pages, but
requiring modification to only a single file to update all pages.

<geek>Richard</geek>