[WEB4LIB] PC software for managing downloaded journal articles?

Karen Harker Karen.Harker at UTSouthwestern.edu
Mon Oct 14 09:25:45 EDT 2002

This may not be a cheap solution, but I think it is worth
investigating...Endeavor's ENCompass Portal.  Its value is the ability
to apply any XML Schema/DTD to any collection, and there are several
DTDs for journal articles already available.  In addition, you can set
up communications with other online repositories, particularly if they
themselves use XML to transfer data.

My question is, do you have permission to save these articles locally?
Most licenses of which I am aware specifically preclude such storage,
although I know a few publishers are starting to participate in such
joint ventures as LOCKSS (out of Stanford).

Karen R. Harker, MLS
UT Southwestern Medical Library
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Dallas, TX  75390-9049
214-648-1698
http://www.swmed.edu/library/

>>> Dave Lewis <ddlewis4 at worldnet.att.net> 10/12/02 3:49:14 PM >>>
Does anyone know of client software (open source or commercial) for
managing
a moderate sized collection of downloaded journal articles?  Ability
communicate with online repositories (citeseer, arXiv, etc.) would be
great,
but just ability to organize/search a file system full of PDF,
postscript,
HTML, and Word would be useful.  Ability to link to bibliography
management
software would be a plus.

I will post a summary of responses to the list.

Thanks, Dave
dave at DavidDLewis.com
http://www.DavidDLewis.com
Consulting on text categorization/filtering/search/mining/<your need
here>