800x600 and fluid elements

Smith, Barbara BSmith at imls.gov
Mon Nov 18 08:52:13 EST 2002

We're working with a designer who is creating a series of designs for some
new e-products, including two that involve filling in a lot of forms.  (One
is an online reporting form, the other is an online application.)

The designer recommends 800x600 resolution, with static logo header and bars
to separate different sections.  Nothing would be fluid.  The contractor for
one of the projects thinks that fluid bars and forms make more sense,
because they expand with the change in resolution.  If I use 1152 x 864
resolution on a 19" monitor, I can see a whole lot more of the form than
what's available in the limits of 800x600.  But if the static parts of the
design (logo header and bars) don't expand to match the screen resolution,
they appear truncated and not very attractive.  I'm the referee, and I don't
have much skill or knowledge in Web design and implementation.

How are others dealing with this question?  In terms of design and
usability, is it better to stay within a smaller footprint?

It would be really helpful is you can suggest some Web sites that have been
effective in either 800x600 or fluid designs that can adjust well to any
setting.

Thanks in advance, Barbara

Barbara G. Smith,  Technology Officer
Institute of Museum and Library Services
1100 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Room 223
Washington, DC 20506

voice:    202/606-5254
fax:       202/606-1077