[WEB4LIB] Re: neustar.us and lib.ny.us

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Sat Nov 9 20:12:27 EST 2002

Saturday, November 9, 2002, 10:47:08 AM, you wrote:

JK> I've received the suggestion to register my domain in .org or
JK> somesuch. Which in fact I have, but that hasn't caused any problems,
JK> so I didn't mention it. I have sspl.org as well as
JK> saratoga.lib.ny.us. One thing worth noting is the same site can easily
JK> be in multiple domains. You don't have to have only one domain for
JK> your site or organization.

Of course it can have multiple names.  I imagine just about every
member of this list knows that the domain name is just a pointer to the IP,
and, just as many catalog records can point to the same book, many domain
names can point to the same IP number via CNAME or other methods.

JK> As far as I know the RFCs still say public libraries should be in the
JK> lib.xx.us domain where xx is the state. Has that changed?

"Should be?"  By whose laws or restrictions?   They certainly can be,
and many are, but the trend is the other way.  Just as you don't have
to be a four year college to be .edu any more, originally because of
lack of enforcement, you don't have to be a non-profit organization to
be an .org or a network service provider to be a .net.  As most of us
are aware, the distinctions are almost completely meaningless these
days.

JK> I would like
JK> to keep using what is recommended by the RFCs - which weren't well
JK> though out in regard to libaries, but nevertheless provide some
JK> guidance.

Fine, if you like tilting at windmills, have at it.  But why?

JK> I would also like to push for competent management of the
JK> .us domain that should be freely available to government and
JK> educational orginizations.

Again, fine if you enjoy getting into such meaningless struggles.

JK> Secondly, I seem to know cheap and easy source to register
JK> domains. Better than some of the suggestion. While you seem to be
JK> aware of the right price range. Gandi.net in France, charges in Euros
JK> (12 Euros - sorry can't find the symbol on my keyboard), which until
JK> recently was less than $10. Now its aobut ten. When I first started
JK> using them it once fell to under eight.

Hey, if they're reliable, great.  For the small difference in costs
I'll stick with one that works, and one in this country where I have
easier recourse and communication if there is a problem.

cheers

dan

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan at RiverOfData.com 208-283-7711
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA