website development procedures

Paula Gray-Overtoom pgrayove at monroe.lib.in.us
Sat Nov 9 09:34:57 EST 2002

I would like to update our library's website development procedures but
still keep the good aspects of our current procedures.  Currently, to
build pages on our site, web designers have to use a small amount of SGML,
use pico as their HTML editor and know several commands to type in from a
command line.  I would like to make some of these procedures easier for
our web designers but still make sure that everyone is following site
guidelines and HTML standards.  I would like to keep the following aspects
of our system.

1.  Web designers (webczars in our library) know HTML.
2.  The current system has built in validation to the DTD of our choice
	(except I cannot get it to function with the XHTML DTD).
3.  We are able to use includes to provide consistent navigation, footers,
	etc. and quick updates to all of our pages at once.
4.  The system works on Linux and uses all open-source software.

What systems/programs/procedures are those of you that hand-code and
validate your pages using?

Thanks,
Paula

Paula Gray-Overtoom			Monroe County Public Library
Information Systems Librarian		303 E. Kirkwood Ave.
pgrayove at monroe.lib.in.us		Bloomington, IN 47408
phone: 812-349-3050			http://www.monroe.lib.in.us
fax:  812-349-3051