Brewster Kahle to be at Library of Congress November 20th

danna c. bell-russel dbell at loc.gov
Mon Nov 4 17:50:13 EST 2002

Good afternoon,

This announcement is being sent to a number of lists. Please accept our
apologies for any duplicate postings.

Luminary Lectures @ Your Library present Brewster Kahle 11/20/02 at the
Library of Congress

Brewster Kahle, the Director and Co-founder of the Internet Archive, the
largest publicly accessible, privately funded digital archive in the world
will present a lecture entitled, "Public Access to Digital Materials" at
the Library of Congress on Wednesday, November 20, from 10:30am-12:00pm in
the Pickford Theater of the Library of Congress' James Madison Building,
located at First Street and Independence Avenue S.E., Washington, D.C.
Seating at this event will be limited to 65, so please allow time to arrive
early.

During the lecture Kahle will discuss how the goal of universal access to
our cultural heritage is within our grasp. He notes that with current
digital technology we can build comprehensive collections, and with digital
networks we can make these available to students and scholars all over the
world. The current challenge is establishing the roles, rights, and
responsibilities of our libraries and archives in providing public access
to this information. With these roles defined, our institutions will help
fulfill this epic opportunity of our digital age.

Brewster Kahle has been working to provide universal access to all human
knowledge for more than fifteen years. Since the mid-1980s, Kahle has
focused on developing transformational technologies for information
discovery and digital libraries. In 1989 Kahle invented the Internet's
first publishing system, WAIS (Wide Area Information Server) system and in
1989, founded WAIS Inc., a pioneering electronic publishing company that
was sold to America Online in 1995. In 1996, Kahle founded the Internet
Archive, the largest publicly accessible, privately funded digital archive
in the world. At the same time, he co-founded Alexa Internet in April 1996,
which was sold to Amazon.com in 1999. Alexa's services are bundled into
more than 80% of Web browsers.

Public Service Collections Directorate of the Library of Congress. Please
check the Luminary Lectures @ Your Library web site
<http://www.loc.gov/rr/program/lectures/> for more information about
Brewster Kahle and about this lecture series. This lecture will be made
available on this site via cybercast.
No reservations are necessary. All lectures are free and open to the public

Other events coming in the Luminary Lectures @ Your Library series this
fall/winter include:

"'No Guts, No Glory': Information Professionals March Into the 22nd Century"
Barbara Quint, Editor-in-Chief of "Searcher: The Magazine for Database
Professionals," a tele-conference on Wednesday, December 4th, @ the NDL
Learning Center, 10:30am-12:00noon.

"Information Ethics: Challenges for Librarians and Information Scientists"
Dr. Toni Carbo, Madison Council Fellow in Library and Information Science,
Kluge Center/Library of Congress; and Professor, University of Pittsburgh
on Monday, December 9th, @ the Pickford Theater from 10:30-12:00noon.

"Avenues to Library Services: User Preferences"
Dr. Neal Kaske, Manager of the Engineering & Physical Sciences Library at
the University of Maryland Libraries in College Park, adjunct faculty
member in the College of Information Studies on Wednesday, January 15,
2003, @ Dining Room A from 10:30-12:00noon

Dr. Joseph Janes, Founding Director of the Internet Public Library
(http://www.ipl.org), and Assistant Professor at the Information School of
the University of Washington on Monday, February 10, 2003, @ Dining Room A
from 10:30am-12:00noon

For more information, please see <http://www.loc.gov/rr/program/lectures/>.
For special assistance, please contact: Alison Foster, Library of Congress,
Phone: (202) 707-1183, Email: afos at loc.gov.