New W3C Validator and character encoding

Robert Sullivan rsullivan at sals.edu
Tue Nov 26 10:21:14 EST 2002

I see the new version of the W3C validator <http://validator.w3.org/> is
out of beta.  When I checked one of my older pages, it complained:

Character Encoding mismatch! The character encoding specified in the XML
declaration (utf-8) is different from the value in the <meta> element
(iso-8859-1).

The offending lines in my pages are:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
/>

Didn't have a problem with the previous version of the validator, and
the Web Design Group validator at
http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/ says it's fine.

This page is still XHTML 1.0 Transitional, but I tried one of my 1.0
Strict pages and got the same result.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Bob Sullivan  <rsullivan at sals.edu>
Schenectady County Public Library (NY)  <http://www.scpl.org/>