[WEB4LIB] Suggestions for usability studies

Alain D. M. G. Vaillancourt ndgmtlcd at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 19 17:19:43 EST 2002

Hello!

To quote Steven Krug:
"Repeat after me: Focus groups are not usability tests"

Focus groups are one of the many tools used to gather requirements
during the first stages of the design process. You are asking, leading
people in giving opinions.

Usability testing is done only once you have a prototype (paper or
screen based) up and running.  You absolutely do not ask people for
their opinion here, you observe (looking but also hearing if they do
"think-alouds")them actually using your prototype.

Like the two ladies before me I heartily recomend Steve Krug's "Don,t
make me think"

To go beyond this to something more solid read Jeffrey Rubin:
"Handbook of usability testing:  How to plan, design, and conduct
effective tests."

 --- Douglas Joubert <djoubert at mail.mcg.edu> a écrit : > Greetings,

> We are about to embark on a redesign of you library web page, and I
> thought I might ask for some seasoned assistance. Can anyone
> recommend some book or relevant sources for conducting user/focus
> groups? This will be my first time doing this (other than a class
> project in Grad school), so any comments/experiences would be useful.
> respectfully
> DJJ
> Douglas Joubert, MLIS

=====