Removing the Preferences option in Netscape 7

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Thu Nov 14 18:44:53 EST 2002

One of the most frequent questions I get at my browser help pages is "How do
I remove the Preferences option from the Edit menu" in Netscape 7? For people
used to simply renaming a file in Netscape 4, the inability to change this
option easily is frustrating. I've discovered it is actually very easy to
remove this option. However, the process of editing the correct file and
getting everything back in the correct location can be tricky. So, until I
can finish up my help page that describes the process that will allow you to
do this, I've provided a short-cut in the form of a modified file which has
the Preferences option removed from the Edit menu. More details are available
here:

http://tln.lib.mi.us/~amutch/pro/netscape/

I should note that:

1) This file ONLY works with Netscape 7. If you use it with any other
browser, it is bound to blow up.

2) The ONLY change I've made is to edit out the Preferences option. I've made
no other changes.

3) I've only been able to test this on my PC. Hopefully, some would-be
beta-testers will let me know if the change actually works for them too.

Any feedback on the work-around or the page is appreciated!

Enjoy!

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library