[WEB4LIB] cross-database search

Roy Tennant roy.tennant at ucop.edu
Thu Nov 14 17:48:24 EST 2002

A bit over a year ago, I wrote a "Digital Libraries" column on this in
Library Journal (see
http://libraryjournal.reviewsnews.com/
index.asp?layout=articlePrint&articleID=CA170458 ). In it, I pointed to
the Web4Lib message in which I posted a summary of responses I had
received to a similar query (see
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Web4Lib/archive/0109/0021.html ). Since I
asked my question well over a year ago, and the market is in a good
deal of ferment now, it may be time to do another survey of what
options exist, and what libraries are implementing. My own institution
(the California Digital Library) is looking into commercial options and
whether they are good enough to take the place of our in-house system,
Searchlight (referenced in the aforementioned article and Web4Lib
message). If there is anything that can be shared from that
investigation, I'll send it along as well.
Roy